A manufacturing license allows a licensee to convert or compound marijuana into marijuana products, marijuana concentrates, or marijuana extracts, and to package, repackage, label, or relabel marijuana products, as allowed by statute and rule.
In addition the requirements listed here, cultivators are subject to the General Licensee Requirements.
- Applications for new licenses to manufacture will be available starting 7/1/2023.
- Existing businesses may apply for additional manufacturing sites or tier increases.
- Manufacturing licenses are tiered according to how much concentrate is manufactured monthly.
- Manufacturing businesses that do not produce concentrate but perform other allowable activities that fall under the definition of manufacturing are licensed as a Tier 1.
- Businesses may have multiple license types including Cultivator, Manufacturer, Dispensary, and Transporter. There is no requirement to have multiple license types.
- Manufacturers may purchase marijuana from licensed businesses and may sell the products they manufacture to other licensed businesses.
- Manufacturers can transport their own product between licensed facilities.
- Manufacturers are not allowed to sell directly to medical or adult use consumers. Sales to consumers may only occur at licensed dispensaries.
- All employees must have a valid Worker Permit prior to starting work.
Additional Application Requirements
- Must meet all General License Application Requirements
- Applications must be submitted through the TransAction Portal (TAP).
- New manufacturers may start at any tier of their choosing but may only change at renewal.
- All marijuana business applicants must demonstrate they are located within a jurisdiction that allows their business to operate in accordance with 16-12-301, MCA.
- Applications require a processing fee of 20% of the license fees.
- Application processing fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.
All fees are annual and are based on the amount of concentrate produced monthly. Manufacturers who do not produce concentrate may use the lowest tier.
|Tier 1||$5,000||Up to 10 pounds of concentrate production per month.|
|Tier 2||$10,000||Between 10 and 15 pounds of concentrate production per month.|
|Tier 3||$20,000||15 pounds or more of concentrate production per month.|
Forms and Resources
- TransAction Portal (TAP)
- Marijuana Regulation and Taxation (16-12, MCA)
- Cannabis Cash Payments Instructions
- ARM 42.39 – Cannabis Control Program
- Fingerprint and Background Check Instructions Privacy Act Statement
- Consent to Fingerprint Form
- Property Owner Permission Form
- Cannabis Control Division Mandatory Signs