The Taxpayer Advocate works independently from the department’s divisions so it can provide impartial service.
The advocate works to resolve taxpayer issues after the normal channels have been exhausted or communications with the department have broken down.
The Taxpayer Advocate Can Help You With
The Taxpayer Advocate Also
- Handles issues with department procedures and services, especially those concerning the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Receives and investigates complaints about improper or abusive behavior by department employees.
- Addresses taxpayers’ concerns and helps taxpayers and the department find solutions to prevent future issues.
- Monitors department compliance with the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Ensures taxpayers have access to materials on the department’s tax, audit, collection, and appeals processes that are easily understandable.
- Makes recommendations to the director to address concerns identified in carrying out these responsibilities.