We do our best to make filing your Individual Income Taxes as easy as possible.
Get Help From Us
We’re happy to help. If you’re having problems filing your taxes, contact us or visit us in-person.
You can also e-file your return using our public computers in our Mitchell Building and Missoula offices.
Tax help and computers are available first-come-first serve during business hours.
Other Helpful Resources
There are several resources outside the department available to help you prepare your taxes:
- Local Libraries
- Many libraries throughout Montana offer Internet access. Check with your local library to learn if Internet access is available for filing your individual income tax returns.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- VITA offers free tax help to low-to-moderate income (generally $42,000 and below) people who can’t prepare their own tax returns. Trained volunteers run VITA sites at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, credit unions and so on. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
- Find VITA sites near you using the IRS VITA Location Tool.
- MontanaFreeFile.org is a website designed to provide information on free electronic filing options. The website also contains a free tax preparation site locator. This service is provided by Montana’s credit unions, Montana Department of Revenue, Montana Legal Services Association, Opportunity Link Inc., and Rural Dynamics, Inc.
- AARP Foundation
- The AARP provides tax counseling for the elderly with free priority assistance services for all taxpayers 60 and older.
- Find AARP Tax-Aide Locations using the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Locator tool.
- The IRS provides resources for choosing a tax preparer.
- April 17
- October 15
- April 15
- October 15
Related Forms and Links
- Choosing an Individual Income Tax Form
- Montana Free File Partner Offers
- Montana Individual Income Tax Return Long Form (Form 2)
- Montana Individual Income Tax Return Short Form (Form 2EZ)
- Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit (Form 2EC)
- Enrolled Tribal Member Exempt Income Certification/Return (Form ETM)
- Other Tax Software