We do our best to make filing your Individual Income Taxes as easy as possible.
Other Helpful Resources
There are several resources outside the department available to help you prepare your taxes:
- Local Libraries
- Many libraries throughout Montana offer Internet access. Check with your local library to learn if Internet access is available for filing your individual income tax returns.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- VITA offers free tax help to low-to-moderate income (generally $42,000 and below) people who can’t prepare their own tax returns. Trained volunteers run VITA sites at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, credit unions and so on. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
- Find VITA sites near you using the IRS VITA Location Tool.
- AARP Foundation
- The AARP provides tax counseling for the elderly with free priority assistance services for all taxpayers 60 and older.
- Find AARP Tax-Aide Locations using the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Locator tool.
- The IRS provides resources for choosing a tax preparer.