The Free File Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with Montana to help our taxpayers prepare and e-file their federal and state tax returns for free.
Our partners offer free services to taxpayers who meet certain requirements. If you do not qualify for any of the offers listed below, you may wish to file using one of our approved software vendors or find a tax professional.
Learn more about the Free File Alliance.
How it Works
Pick a Vendor From the List Below
Look at the offers below to see if you qualify, then pick the best offer for you.
Use The Link on This Page to Access Your Chosen Software
Use the link on this page to access the software of your choice.
If you do not use one of the links below, you may not be able to redeem the free file offer and may be charged a fee.
File Your State and Federal Returns
Follow the instructions provided by the software you’ve chosen to file your return.
Contact the provider if you questions about using their software.
Please Note: Some providers may charge a fee if you do not file both state and federal returns at the same time.
Other Requirements and Fees
Software vendors may have additional requirements.
We recommend you carefully review the product Terms and Conditions to choose the product that best serves your tax needs.
The companies listed below may charge a fee for:
- Upgraded return services, such as audit protection
- Add-on services, such as instant refund
- Electronic Preparation Service
- Filing your federal return
- Other extended benefits
Some vendors may also charge a fee if you do not file your federal and state returns at the same time.
If you have questions about the software product, fees, or additional services, please contact the provider’s customer support line.
Some sites or software may offer free federal filing. This does not guarantee free state filing for Montana returns.
The Montana Department of Revenue does not endorse any software companies or guarantee their products, services, or prices.
TurboTax Freedom Edition
Intuit offers free filing through TurboTax Feedom Edition for Montanans:
- Any taxpayer with FAGI up to $33,000,
- Active Duty Military, including Reservist and National Guard, up to $66,000, or
- Any taxpayer eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
TaxAct Free File
TaxAct® Free File
- Adjusted Gross Income of $53,000 or less, and
- Age 56 or younger, or
- Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $66,000 or less
H&R Block offers free filing for Montanans if your Adjusted Gross Income is $66,00 or less, and you are one of the following:
- Age 17-50 as of December 31, 2017,
- Active military in 2017, or
- Qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)