The Free File Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with Montana to help our taxpayers prepare and e-file their federal and state tax returns for free.
Our partners offer free services to taxpayers who meet certain requirements. If you do not qualify for any of the offers listed below, you may wish to file using one of our approved software vendors or find a tax professional.
Learn more about the Free File Alliance.
The Montana Department of Revenue does not endorse any software companies or guarantee their products, services, or prices.
Pick a Vendor From the List Below
Look at the offers below to see if you qualify, then pick the best offer for you.
Use The Link on This Page to Access Your Chosen Software
Use the link on this page to access the software of your choice.
If you do not use one of the links below, you may not be able to redeem the free file offer and may be charged a fee.
File Your State and Federal Returns
Follow the instructions provided by the software you’ve chosen to file your return.
Contact the provider if you questions about using their software.
Some providers may charge a fee if you do not file both state and federal returns at the same time.
Software vendors may have additional requirements.
We recommend you carefully review the product Terms and Conditions to choose the product that best serves your tax needs.
The companies listed below may charge a fee for:
- Upgraded return services, such as audit protection
- Add-on services, such as instant refund
- Electronic Preparation Service
- Filing your federal return
- Other extended benefits
Some vendors may also charge a fee if you do not file your federal and state returns at the same time.
If you have questions about the software product, fees, or additional services, please contact the provider’s customer support line.
Some sites or software may offer free federal filing. This does not guarantee free state filing for Montana returns.
Free File Alliance Offers
Online Taxes at OLT.com
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing for:
- Federal Adjusted Gross Income is $45,000 or less regardless of age.
- Activity Duty Military with an adjusted gross income of $79,000 or less will also qualify.
- The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link below. This offer is also valid from the IRS Free File offer.
Free federal and MT tax preparation & e-file for all who live in MT with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less.
This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
FreeTaxUSA will be offering free electronic preparation and filing services for both Federal and Montana tax returns to eligible Montana taxpayers.
- Have a Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) of $45,000 or less, or
- Served active duty military in 2023 with an FAGI up to $79,000
TaxSlayer is offering free Montana state tax preaparation software service to Montana taxpayers who:
- Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) of $44,000 or less, or
- Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), or
- Were active-duty military in 2023 with an FAGI up to $79,000 or less
TaxAct is offer free federal and Montana Returns via their IRS Free File Program for taxpayers who:
- Have a Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) up to $73,000, and
- Are age 20-58, or
- Were active-duty military with FAGI up to $73,000
IRS Free File Program Delivered by 1040.com®
- Adjusted Gross Income between $17,000 and $79,000 and
- Any Age or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $79,000 or less
Wage Withholding and Payroll Tax