Remote Working Resources

Did you know remote work may change how you file taxes?

If you are working remotely in Montana and another state, you may have a filing requirement in both states. This applies to Montana residents working remotely in another state and nonresidents or part-year residents working remotely from Montana.

The information provided on this page is for general information. To get help with your specific tax situation, please consult a qualified tax professional.

The IRS provides resources on finding a tax professional to meet your needs.

Part-year Residents and Nonresidents Working in Montana

Regardless of your residency, working while located in Montana will generally create Montana source income. Montana source income is any income earned while living or located in Montana. This includes:

  • wages
  • salary
  • tips
  • other compensation
  • business income for services performed in Montana

Montana Residents Working in Another State

A Montana resident must report and pay tax on income received for work performed outside of Montana. When filing a return with the Department of Revenue, a Montana resident may be eligible to claim a credit for taxes paid to that other state, if the resident paid tax on that income in the other state.

Additional Resources

Montana Residency
If you’re not sure about your Montana residency status, please consult your tax professional, or learn more about Montana Residency.
Montana Source Income
For owners of partnerships, S corporations, limited liability companies, and other pass-through entities, learn more about how to allocate or apportion income as Montana Source Income.
Montana Individual Income Tax Return Instructions Booklet
For more information about filing taxes in Montana, consult your tax professional or see the Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2) Instructions.
Filing Requirements
Learn about Individual Income Tax filing requirements.
Learn about Pass-through Entity filing requirements.