The Free File Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with Montana to help our taxpayers prepare and e-file their federal and state tax returns for free.
Our partners offer free services to taxpayers who meet certain requirements. If you do not qualify for any of the offers listed below, you may wish to file using one of our approved software vendors or find a tax professional.
Learn more about the Free File Alliance.
The Montana Department of Revenue does not endorse any software companies or guarantee their products, services, or prices.
Pick a Vendor From the List Below
Look at the offers below to see if you qualify, then pick the best offer for you.
Use The Link on This Page to Access Your Chosen Software
Use the link on this page to access the software of your choice.
If you do not use one of the links below, you may not be able to redeem the free file offer and may be charged a fee.
File Your State and Federal Returns
Follow the instructions provided by the software you’ve chosen to file your return.
Contact the provider if you questions about using their software.
Some providers may charge a fee if you do not file both state and federal returns at the same time.
Software vendors may have additional requirements.
We recommend you carefully review the product Terms and Conditions to choose the product that best serves your tax needs.
The companies listed below may charge a fee for:
- Upgraded return services, such as audit protection
- Add-on services, such as instant refund
- Electronic Preparation Service
- Filing your federal return
- Other extended benefits
Some vendors may also charge a fee if you do not file your federal and state returns at the same time.
If you have questions about the software product, fees, or additional services, please contact the provider’s customer support line.
Some sites or software may offer free federal filing. This does not guarantee free state filing for Montana returns.
Free File Alliance Offers
1040NOW.net offers free federal and Montana tax preparation and e-file for anyone living in Montana:
- With an Federally Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) up to $32,000
Offer for Free Federal and Montana Returns:
- Adjusged Gross Income of $63,000 or less and age 56 or younger, or
- Eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $72,000 or less
To qualify for the TaxSlayer Free File offer, you must:
- Have an Adjusted Gross Income of $72,000 or less and be 51 or younger, or
- Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit,or
- Be active duty military with an Adjusted Gross Income $72,000 or less
IRS FreeFile Program by TurboTax
Intuit TurboTax is proud to sponsor IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, donating free Federal and State tax returns nationwide for:
- Taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income of $39,000 or less
- Active Duty Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $72,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard)
- Taxpayers eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
Online Taxes at OLT.com
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if
- Your Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) is between $16,000 and $72,000, regardless of age, or
- You are Active Duty Military with FAGI of $72,000 or less.