Cannabis Control Division December Newsletter

December 1, 2022

In this month’s newsletter, learn more about the following: 

  • Organizational chart for marijuana licensee renewals 
  • Reminder: adult sales and acceptable forms of ID 
  • TAP email and communications permissions 
  • Exit packages 
  • Reminder: finalize sales daily 
  • Dispensaries may offer gift cards for sale  

Organizational chart for marijuana licensee renewals 

Business license applicants must provide a business organization chart showing the overall ownership structure for the business. This chart must include all entities and ‘Controlling Beneficial Owners’, as well as all employees that make up the organization, as defined in statute (§16-12-102 (7) and §16-12-203 (i), MCA). 

 A business organizational chart should be submitted when: 

  • Applying for a new business license 
  • Renewing a business license 
  • An update in ownership or an update in the organization occurs  

CCD has several Business Organizational Charts on our website for review.  

Reminder: sales and acceptable forms of ID 

Proper identification must be presented and checked for every medical marijuana sale or adult-use sale (21 and over). 

  • Medical cardholders must present a valid (i.e., not expired) Montana medical card; if they cannot present a valid medical card, marijuana/marijuana products can only be sold to them at the adult-use tax rate. There are NO exceptions. This requirement also applies to a designated purchaser, who must present the valid medical card and their own valid identification to purchase marijuana on behalf of a medical cardholder.
  • Adult-use consumers must present a valid form (i.e., not expired) of identification to purchase adult-use marijuana. Acceptable forms of identification include:  

– A driver’s license issue in any of the 50 U.S. states 

– A valid U.S. government-issued identification card 

– A valid U.S. military identification card, Merchant Mariner Credential, or other similarly issued Coast Guard document 

– A valid passport that is recognized by the United States  

*includes a permanent resident card 

– A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized Native American tribe in the United States 

*card must include the individual’s Date of Birth

If you are unsure that the identification presented to you is valid, ask for a second form of identification (with picture) from the individual before making the sale. 

TAP: email and communications permissions 

Business owners are strongly encouraged to log into TAP (TransAction Portal) and select the appropriate permissions for themselves/their account to ensure they receive all communications from the Cannabis Control Division (including communications from inspectors)  

Exit packages can be re-used 

Any child resistant exit package can be re-used at any dispensary provider location.  

Reminder: licensees finalize sales daily 

After entering sales in real time, licensees must finalize those sales in Metrc at the end of each business day. 

Dispensaries may sell gift cards 

Dispensaries are permitted to offer gift cards or gift certificates for sale. Happy holidays! 

More questions?