The Department of Revenue serves Montana by providing high quality services, ensuring equity and fairness, and constantly improving efficiency.
Our Goals and Objectives
To serve Montana’s citizens by improving their understanding of laws the department administers.
- Provide clear, accurate, and timely information to ensure citizens understand their filing obligations.
- Continually strengthen working relationships with other state agencies, tribal and local governments, the federal government and the public.
- Consistently present the department at its best.
To advance equity and integrity in the laws we administer while continually increasing effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Be consistent with tax laws, administer highly efficient and effective services to increase compliance with taxes and reduce gaps between taxes paid and owed.
- Be consistent with the alcoholic beverage laws, administer highly efficient and effective regulations for the manufacture, importation, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages to promote public health and safety.
- Prevent unauthorized disclosure of confidential or privileged materials.
- Uphold the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Process data and revenue accurately and timely.
- Provide efficient and effective services through the implementation of innovative ideas and use of best practices.
- Continually review business processes and adapt to changes as needed to foster equity and uniformity in collection practices and tax laws.
- Ensure all property in the state is valued at 100% of market value.
- Provide accurate and timely certified taxable values to all taxing jurisdictions.
- Increase and enhance electronic filing and payment services.
- Timely distribute unclaimed property to rightful owners.
- Provide a simple and seamless process for business registration and licensing through the e-Stop Business Licensing program.
To continually improve productivity and the quality of service by developing highly competent and trained staff.
- Train, guide and empower employees.
- Attract and hire the best qualified applicants and encourage a diverse workforce.
- Retain qualified and competent staff.