To be the nation’s most efficient and citizen-oriented state tax agency.
Our Goals and Objectives
To serve Montana’s citizens by improving their understanding of laws the department administers.
- Provide clear, accurate, and timely information to ensure citizens understand their filing obligations.
- Continually strengthen working relationships with other state agencies, tribal and local governments, the federal government and the public.
- Consistently present the department at its best.
To advance equity and integrity in the laws we administer while continually increasing effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Be consistent with tax laws, administer highly efficient and effective services to increase compliance with taxes and reduce gaps between taxes paid and owed.
- Be consistent with the alcoholic beverage laws, administer highly efficient and effective regulations for the manufacture, importation, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages to promote public health and safety.
- Prevent unauthorized disclosure of confidential or privileged materials.
- Uphold the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Process data and revenue accurately and timely.
- Provide efficient and effective services through the implementation of innovative ideas and use of best practices.
- Continually review business processes and adapt to changes as needed to foster equity and uniformity in collection practices and tax laws.
- Ensure all property in the state is valued at 100% of market value.
- Provide accurate and timely certified taxable values to all taxing jurisdictions.
- Increase and enhance electronic filing and payment services.
- Timely distribute unclaimed property to rightful owners.
- Provide a simple and seamless process for business registration and licensing through the e-Stop Business Licensing program.
To continually improve productivity and the quality of service by developing highly competent and trained staff.
- Train, guide and empower employees.
- Attract and hire the best qualified applicants and encourage a diverse workforce.
- Retain qualified and competent staff.