Cultivation licenses allow a licensee to cultivate marijuana for either medical or adult use. Licenses are issued according to a tiered canopy system, allowing for increasing amounts of cultivation space.
In addition the requirements listed here, cultivators are subject to the General Licensee Requirements.
- Applications for new businesses to cultivate will be available starting 7/1/2025.
- Cultivators can apply to increase their tier by one tier in conjunction with their regular renewal by demonstrating compliance with 16-12-223 (1)(e), MCA.
- All new cultivation sites are required to be indoor only.
- Cultivators may sell the marijuana they cultivate to other businesses or at their own licensed dispensary.
- All licensed marijuana facilities are subject to inspection by CCD inspectors.
- Businesses may have multiple license types including Cultivator, Manufacturer, Dispensary, and Transporter. There is no requirement to have multiple license types.
- Cultivators are allowed to transport their own product between licensed facilities.
- Cultivators may not sell directly to consumers for either medical or adult use. Sales to consumers may only occur at licensed dispensaries.
- All employees must have a valid Worker Permit prior to starting work.
Additional Application Requirements
- Must meet all General License Application Requirements
- Applications must be submitted through the TransAction Portal (TAP).
- New cultivations may start only as Micro, Tier 1, or Tier 2. Tier increases are available at the time of annual renewal.
- All marijuana business applicants must demonstrate they are located within a jurisdiction that allows their business to operate in accordance with 16-12-301, MCA.
- Applications require a processing fee of 20% of the license fees.
- Application processing fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.
Cultivation Canopy Tiers and Fees
|Tier||Maximum Square Footage||Maximum Indoor Facilities||Fees|
Forms and Resources
- TransAction Portal (TAP)
- Marijuana Regulation and Taxation (16-12, MCA)
- ARM 42.39 – Cannabis Control Program
- Fingerprint and Background Check Instructions Privacy Act Statement
- Cannabis Cash Payments Instructions
- Consent to Fingerprint Form
- Property Owner Permission Form
- Cannabis Control Division Mandatory Signs (1567 downloads)