The Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit program is a property tax relief program that provides a refundable income tax credit of up to $1,000.
You are eligible for this credit if you:
- Are 62 or older on December 31,
- Lived in Montana for at least nine months,
- Live in the same home for at least six months, and
- Have a household income under $45,000
Montana homeowners or renters age 62 or older may qualify for this program even if you do not have to file an income tax return.
Up to $1000 refundable credit on your Individual Income Tax.
The amount of your credit is based on household income, rent, and property tax. You may use the Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit schedule ( Form 2, Page 9) to calculate your credit.
- With a Filing Requirement
- If you have a Montana filing requirement, you will need to complete the Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2). The Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit schedule is included on Page 9.
- Without a Filing Requirement
- You may claim the Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit even if you do not have a filing rquirement.
- You may file online through our TransAction Portal (TAP) or file the appropriate sections of the Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2).
- April 15
- October 15
Up to $1,000 Income Tax Credit
Related Forms and Links
- Montana Free File Partner Offers
- Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2)
- Enrolled Tribal Member Exempt Income Certification/Return (Form ETM)
- Other Tax Software