We express sincere sympathy to everyone whose homes, lands, and other property have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.
Please, let us help.
If you live in an area affected by a natural disaster, you might be eligible for an income tax filing extension.
We can also provide you with the necessary information and replacement copies of your past-year tax returns or other revenue-related information.
You or your business may qualify if:
- You lived or ran your business in a federal disaster area during the disaster
- You or your business lost tax records because your accountant, bookeeper, or other third party was in a federal disaster area during the disaster.
Requesting the Extension
- Filing With Paper
- If you are filing your return on paper, write the type of disaster in bold, red letters at the top of your documents.
- Filing Electronically
- Send a letter to the Montana Department of Revenue including:
- The tax period,
- Your tax account number,
- Your tax type,
- The type of disaster, and
- A statement that you qualify for tax relief because of a federal disaster.
- Previously Filed and Received a Billing Notice
- If you have received a billing notice, write the type of disaster in bold, red letters at the top of your notice.