January 31 is the due date for filing the Montana Annual W-2 1099 Withholding Tax Reconciliation (Form MW-3), Forms W-2 (with or without withholding) and Forms 1099 with withholding.
Montana Annual W-2 1099 Withholding Reconciliation (Form MW-3) is no longer mailed to employers.
Electronic filing is highly recommended; however, you may download a printable PDF from My Revenue.
Employers, third-party representatives, tax preparers, and payroll service providers can file Forms W-2 and 1099, along with Forms MW-3, online through the department’s TransAction Portal (TAP).
This is the most dependable way to submit these documents to us, as the TAP File Upload automatically checks your files for accuracy when you submit them. Plus, all your clients’ MW-3, W-2, and 1099 files can be submitted using your TAP account – even allowing multiple files of the same type in a single transaction (up to 15 MB).
Contact your payroll software help desk if you experience problems formatting your submission.
If you need DOR assistance, you can click “Send us a message” under the TAP “I Want To” menu.
Tips for Successful Filing
The Department of Revenue encourages you to file an accurate return. Errors cause delays in completing the reconciliation, as well as in processing tax refunds for employees and other impacted parties. Please note the following to avoid errors when filing your Montana withholding tax forms:
- Complete all required fields.
- Include the correct Employer Identification Number (EIN). Be sure to use the EIN that the IRS issued you or your clients (if you’re a payroll service provider).
- Include the correct state account number. For Montana, this is the 13-digit alphanumeric ID that the Department of Revenue issued you when you or your client registered.
- If you file your Forms W-2 electronically, don’t send duplicate paper copies.
- If filing by paper, make sure all Forms W-2 and 1099 copies are legible and numbers are not truncated or masked.
- File the correct Forms W-2 and 1099 for the reporting year.
- File the Montana Form MW-3 with your Forms W-2 – not the federal Form W-3.
If you are submitting Forms 1099 with no Montana withholding to the Department of Revenue, please do not send them with the MW-3. Instead, these should be filed with a copy of the federal Form 1096.