You may notice some changes for Tax Year 2018 if you are claiming the Elderly/Homeowner Renter Credit.
Form 2EC has been discontinued, but you can still claim the credit as follows:
- Montanans With an Income Tax Filing Requirement
- Montanans with an income tax filing requirement need to complete the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Schedule on page 9 of the redesigned Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2) and include it with their tax return.
- Montanas Who Do Not Have an Income Tax Filing Requirement
- Montanans who do not have an income tax filing requirement can claim the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit using one of the following methods:
- TransAction Portal (TAP)
- It is recommended that you apply for the credit on our Transaction Portal (TAP).
- Access TAP.
- Click on “File a Return” under Quick Links.
- Click on the blue “File Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit (Form 2EC)” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- This is the same online filing system you may have used in the past.
- Using The Form 2
- Complete the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Schedule on Form 2, page 9.
- Include Form 2, Page 1 with the following information filled out:
- Your name
- Social Security Number
- Bank information
- Your signature
- Mail both pages to:
Montana Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 6577
Helena, MT 59604-6577.
- If you do not send both page 1 and page 9, we will not be able to process your claim.
Please see Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2) Instructions (pages 3 and 34) for more information about claiming the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit.