Your tax records are confidential. We can’t give your tax information to anyone without your written consent.
We can only provide information to your tax preparer if:
Using Our TransAction Portal (TAP)
You can authorize your tax preparer to access specific account information through our TransAction Portal (TAP).
Both you and your tax preparer will need TAP accounts.
You Will Need
- Access to the internet
- A TAP account
- Access to your email or a cell phone with text messaging
- Your social security number or Montana account ID
Granting Authorization Through TAP
Set up your TAP Account
You must be registered in our tax system and have a valid email address to sign up for TAP access.
You also need the following information:
- Individual Income Tax
- To access your account, you must have filed a Montana tax return within the last five years.
- You will also need your:
- Social Security Number
- Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) from your last return filed in Montana. If you only filed a Form 2EC last year, you may use the total gross household income from Form 2EC, Line 1.
- Business Income Tax, Miscellaneous Taxes or Liquor Accounts
- You will need:
- Montana Tax Account ID assigned by the Department of Revenue when an account is created. This 13-digit alphanumeric ID is formatted as 1234567-890-ABC.
- Zip code for your account
- Wage Withholding
- You will need:
- The 13-digit alphanumeric Montana Tax Account ID formatted as 1234567-890-WTH.
- Zip Code
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Instead of your FEIN, you can use the last payment amount, or total wages paid subject to withholding from your most recent Form MW-3.
- File Upload/Processing
- You will need:
- To register a File Upload account, fill out the File Upload Application.
- If your business already has a File Upload Account, you need your 13-digit Montana Tax Account ID and zip code.
- Third Party Access
- Tax preparers who file returns for clients must set up their own TAP logon for centralized access to multiple client accounts. You can sign up as an individual or as a business.
Have Your Tax Preparer Request Access To Your Account
You will receive an email about your tax preparer’s request for access.
Click the link in the email to go to your account and select which level of access you want to give your tax preparer:
- View access allows your tax preparer to see your tax information in TAP.
- View and File
- View and file access lets your tax preparer file your returns through TAP.
- Full Access
- Full access allows your tax preparer to view, file, and make payments for your account through TAP.
After you select the access level, your tax preparer receives an email confirming access.
Your tax preparer can now access the information you’ve allowed.
Using the Paper Form
Fill out the Power of Attorney (Form POA)
Be sure to be accurate. We can process an accurate Form POA within one business day. If your Form POA isn’t complete or is inaccurate, we will need to contact you to make corrections, slowing down how quickly we can process your form.
If you are a first-time filer, your Form POA will be delayed while we create your tax account.
Submit Your Completed Power of Attorney (Form POA)
Either you or your tax preparer can send in the completed form:
- (406) 444-4375
Montana Department of Revenue
PO Box 5805
Helena, MT 59604-5805
Your tax preparer can now contact us to access the information you’ve allowed.
Federal Form 2848
We will accept Federal Form 2848 in place of our Form POA if Section 3 (Tax Matters) specifies:
- The tax type
- The tax form number
- The applicable years