If you received an identity verification letter, your return has been flagged for verification. Flagged returns must be verified before we can finish processing your refund. You don’t need to complete this process if you did not receive an identity verification letter.
How Do I Verify My Return?
If your return is flagged, you will receive one of the following letters:
- Identity Verification Letter
- This letter will ask you to complete the online verification process or send us the requested information.
- Address Verification Letter
- This letter will ask you to send us the requested information by mail, fax, or electronic file transfer service. There is no online verification process.
Once you’ve successfully completed the necessary steps, we will process your refund. If any item entered or sent does not match our records, the verification will fail. Refunds will not be issued until your identity or address is verified.
You Will Need
When using online verification, you will need:
- Your Tax Verification Code
- This code is included in the identity verification letter the department sent you. Enter the code as it is shown in your letter.
- Your Last Name
- Use your last name as shown on the identity verification letter.
- Your Refund Amount
- You will need the refund amount requested on your Montana individual income tax return, found on Line 4 of the Refund Schedule. Taxpayers filing married separate on the same form should enter the combined refund amounts.
Verify By Mail or Fax
If you prefer to respond by mail or need to verify your address, you must send the address or identity verification letter and two documents, one from each category:
- Category One
- Montana driver’s license (current or expired less than one year)
- Driver’s license from any other state (current)
- State identification card
- Government issued photo identification
- Category Two
A document copy less than 3 months old with your full name and complete address matching those on your currently filed return, such as:
- Utility bill (gas, electric, cable, cell phone, etc.)
- Bank statement
- Payroll stub
- Tax bill
- Rental agreement (signed by landlord and renter)
- College or university transcript
- Insurance policy (vehicle, homeowners, renters, health, life)
- Credit card statement
- Montana Department of Revenue
Attn: Verification Letter
P.O. Box 7149
Helena, MT 59604-7149
- ATTN: Verification Letter
- Electronic File Transfer
- Our secure file transfer service, ePass Montana, is available at http://transfer.mt.gov.
Please do not send original documents since they will not be returned.