You must report unclaimed property for owners with a last known address in Montana after the dormancy period (PDF, 72 KB).

If you are a corporation or non-corporate business operating in Montana, you must also report amounts owed to:

  • Unknown or unidentified owners,
  • Owners with foreign addresses, and
  • Owners with unknown address.

(70-9-803, MCA)

Holders must send a written notice to property owners 60—120 days before reporting, unless noted as an exception in 70-9-808, MCA.

You are not required to file a negative or zero-dollar report with Montana.

Due Dates

Unclaimed Property Holder reports are due:

Life Insurance Companies
May 1
Other Unclaimed Property Holders
November 1

Online Reporting Requirements

You will need an ePass Montana account to file online and files in the NAUPA format.

We do not accept and cannot process unclaimed property holder reports on magnetic media such as compact discs, diskettes, tapes, and USB devices.

Reporting Instructions

Step 1

Create your file or files

Unclaimed Property Holder Reports must be plain text (*.txt) documents in the NAUPA format.

Please make sure you are using the latest version of your software to avoid filing errors. Our system does not validate the accuracy of the files you submit. You will be contacted if there is a problem processing your file.

Do not encrypt or password protect your files. The Montana ePass File Transfer Service will encrypt your file when it is uploaded.Our file transfer service will encrypt the file.

If you need software to create the file, the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) also provides resources and software on their website.

Step 2

Log into ePass Montana File Transfer Service

ePass Montana File Transfer Service is a free, secured way to send files to Montana state agencies.

Step 3

Select Send a New File(s)

Step 4

Select your files for upload

Drag and Drop
Drag and drop files from your computer into the upload box
File Explorer
  1. Click the upload box to open your file browser
  2. Select the files you want to upload
  3. Click open

Step 5

Select Continue

Step 6

Select the type of property you are reporting

Holder Reports
Use this report if you are reporting any unclaimed property except unlocatable mineral trusts.
Unlocatable Mineral Holder Reports
Use this report if you are reporting any unlocatable mineral trusts.
Audit Holder Reports
Use this report if you are reporting property after an audit. This report will work for all unclaimed property except unlocatable mineral trusts.
Audit Unlocatable Mineral Holder Reports
Use this report if you are reporting unlocatable mineral trusts after an audit.
State Reciprocity Reports
Use this report if you are another state reporting Montana unclaimed property originally reported to your state.

Step 7

Select Continue

You will be returned to the File Transfer Service home page where you can check the status of your files.

Please Note: This status only shows if we received your file. We will contact you if we cannot process your file or if it is in an incorrect format.

If you are unable to transfer files with the secure file transfer process, please contact

Payment Options

You can make unclaimed property payments by:

Automated Clearing House (ACH)
ACH Credit Payments allow you to send electronic payments from your bank to ours
Check with Payment Voucher
Mail your check to the Montana Department of Revenue along with your:

Mail to:

Montana Department of Revenue
PO Box 5805
Helena, MT 59604-5805

Voluntary Disclosure of Unclaimed Property

Please send your request for a Voluntary Disclosure Agreement to Scott Payton:

Montana Department of Revenue
Scott Payton
PO Box 5805
Helena, MT 59604-5805

If you have questions regarding Unclaimed Property Reporting, please email

Other Helpful Information