An Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) payment lets you send money directly from your bank to ours.
Account Types Available for ACH Payments
- Agency Liquor Store (LIQ)
- Bentonite Production (BEN)
- Brewery Storage Depot (BSD)
- Cement & Gypsum (CGT)
- Cigarette Tax (CIG)
- Coal Gross Proceeds (CGP)
- Coal Severance Tax (CST)
- Combined Oil & Gas Severance (COG)
- Connoisseur License (CON)
- Consumer Counsel Fee (CCT)
- Corporate License Tax (CLT)
- Distilled Spirits Manufacturer License (DSM)
- Domestic Winery License (DWR)
- Electrical Energy Tax (EEL)
- Emergency Telephone (911)
- Fiduciary Estate and Trusts (FID)
- Foreign Brewery License (FBI)
- Foreign Winery License (FWI)
- Hospital Facility Utilization Fee (HUF)
- Individual Income Tax (IIT)
- Alcoholic Beverage Special Permit (SPP)
- Lodging Facility Sales & Use (LFT, LST)
- Metal Mines Gross Proceeds (MMG)
- Metal Mines License (MML)
- Mineral Royalty (MRW)
- Misc Mines Net Proceeds (MMN)
- Nursing Facility Utilization Fee (NFB)
- Off-Premises License (OFF)
- On-Premises License (ONP)
- Other Tobacco Products (OTP)
- Partnership (PTR)
- Public Service Regulation Fee (PSR)
- Rental Vehicle Tax (RVT)
- Resource Indemnity Tax (RIT)
- Retail Telecommunications Excise Tax (RTE)
- Small Business Corp (SBC)
- Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD)
- Unclaimed Property Holder (UCH)
- Unclaimed Property Reciprocity (UCR)
- Vendor Representative License (VRL)
- Wage Withholding (WTH)
- Wholesale Energy Trans Tax (WET)
- Wholesale Alcoholic Beverage License (WSL)
- Wine Tax (WIT)
Request to pay by ACH Credit using the Montana ACH Credit Payment Registration (Form ETR).
Send your Form ETR to DORAMC@mt.gov.
This registration is specific to you, the transmitter, and the business listed on the registration.
If you will be sending payments for multiple businesses, each business must be submitted and approved separately.
We will email a confirmation of your approval for ACH credit payments.
When making payments, your bank will need:
- The business name to apply payments
- Your thirteen character Montana Tax ID (e.g., 4123456002WTH)
- The tax type and payment codes
- The amount of the payment
- Our banking information (We send this after we approve your registration)
- The payment period end date
You need to send additional filing information with your payment using the ACH standard formats and TXP record standards. If your bank offers this service, they will have this information.These are critical to the ACH Process.
ACH Record 6
|Field Number||Field Name Data Elements and Separators||Field Requirements||Contents||Length||Poistion|
|Mandatory: Your payment cannot be routed or posted without this field.
Required: You payment may be rejected by our bank without this field.
Optional: You leave this field empty if you choose. It will not affect your payment.
|1||Record Type Code||Mandatory||'6'||1||01-01|
|5||DFI Account Number||Required||Alphanumeric||17||13-29|
|8||Orginating Business Name|
This is your business name. Do not use State of Montana or Dept of Revenue
|10||Addenda Record Indicator||Mandatory||Numeric||1||79-79|
ACH Record 7
|Field||Data Element Name||Contents||Length||Position|
|2||Addenda Type Code||'05'||2||02-03|
|5||Entry Detail Sequence||Numeric||7||88-94|
Montana Payment Field Requirements
|Field||Field Name||Contents||Description||Min/Max Use|
|TXP01||Account ID||XXXXXXXXXXXXX||Your 13 Character Alphanumeric Montana Account ID||13/13|
|TXP02||Tax Type Code||XXXXX||Indicates the tax type. See Tax Codes.||5/5|
|TXP03||Date||YYMMDD||You period end date.||6/6|
|TXP04||Amount Type Code||X||Indicates the type of payment being made. See Payment Codes.||1/1|
|TXP05||Amount||$$$$$$$$cc||Dollar amount of tax being pad. Note: Do not use dollar signs, decimals, or commas.||1/10|
|Terminator||\||Ends the record.|
TXP02 Tax Type Codes
|Tax or Account Type||Code||Payment Type and Amount Codes|
|Corporate Income Tax (CIT)||02000||
|Fiduciaries, Estates, and Trusts (FID)||01700||
|Individual Income Tax (IIT)||01001||
|Small Business (S corporation) Tax (SBC)||02001||
|Partnership Income Tax (PTR)||02002||
|Other Tobacco Products (OTP)||07301||
|Emergency Telephone (911)||04901||
|Consumer Counsel Fee (CCT)||04500||
|Electrical Energy License (EEL)||15001||
|Hospital Facility Utilization Fee (HUF)||16001||
|Nursing Facility Utilization Fee (NFB)||16002||
|Public Service Regulation Fee (PSR)||04501||
|Rental Vehicle Tax (RVT)||04700||
|Retail Telecommunications Excise Tax (RTE)||04900||
|Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD)||04902||
|Wholesale Energy Transaction Tax (WET)||15002||
|Bentonite Production (BEN)||08001||
|Cement & Gypsum (CGT)||08002||
|Coal Gross Proceeds (CGP)||08003||
|Coal Severance Tax (CST)||08500||
|Combined Oil & Gas Severance (COG)||08400||
|Metal Mines Gross Proceeds (MMG)||08004||
|Metal Mines License (MML)||08005||
|Miscellaneous Mines Net Proceeds (MMN)||08006||
|Resource Indemnity Tax (RIT)||08007||
|Agency Liquor Store (LIQ)||06001||
|Brewery Storage Depot (BSD)||06002||
|Connoisseur License (CON)||06003||
|Distilled Spirit Manufacture License (DSM)||06004||
|Domestic Winery License||06013||
|Foreign Brewery License (FBI)||06005||
|Foreign Winery License (FWI)||06006||
|Liquor Special Permit (SPP)||06008||
|Off-Premises License (OFF)||06009||
|On-Premises License (ONP)||06010||
|Vendor Representative License (VRL)||06011||
|Wholesale Liquor License (WSL)||06012||
|Wine Tax (WIT)||06200||
|Unclaimed Property Holder (UCH)||20102||
|Unclaimed Property Reciprocity State Agencies Only (UCR)||20101||
|Mineral Royalty Withholding (MRW)||01187||
|Wage Withholding (WTH)||01100||
|Lodging Facility Sales and Use (LFT)||07400||
TXP04 Payment Type and Amount Codes
|Payment Type||Amount Code|
|1. Corporate, Small Business, and Partnership extensions use code "R"|
|MRW Return (RW-1)||J|
|WTH Return (MW-1)||T|
Formatting Your Payment Period End Date
Payment periods are formatted as YYMMDD.
- Use the last day of the calendar year.
- Use the last day of the fiscal year.
- Use the last day of June or December.
- Use the last day each quarter.
- Use the last day of the month.
- Use the date the money was withheld, not the date the money was submitted.
If your fiscal year ends on February 28, 2018, you would use 180228 for your period end date.