A Resort All-Beverage License is an all-beverage license used by businesses such as bars and taverns in a resort area.
- May apply for gambling; however, only 20 gambling machine permits may be issued for the resort area
- May not be transferred or sold for operation at a location outside the resort area
- Can be open from 8:00 AM to 2:00 AM
- Must have a designated bar area
- May deliver alcohol to guests of the accommodation units on the designated resort area property as long as the purchaser is present, the purchaser’s age is verified, and the purchaser is not intoxicated
Resort All-Beverage Licenses
- Processing Fee
- One-time Application Fee*
- Resort determination decided before January 1, 1999
- $20,000 for the first resort license
- $100,000 for each additional resort license
- Resort determination decided after January 1, 1999
- $100,000 for each resort license
- Renewal Fee
* Includes $2,000 New License Fee
Tour Boat Endorsement
- New License Fee
- Processing Fee
- Renewal Fee
The application processing fee only applies for original applications and is not applied to renewals.
To apply for this license you must be a resort with a designated bar area.
To qualify as a resort, the area must:
- Have a current value of at least $1,000,000, at least half of which valuation must be for a structure or structures within the resort area
- Have one a single ownership from one person or entity
- Include at least 50 acres of land
- Contain at least 100 guest accommodations units for the first resort license and an additional license for each additional 50 accommodation units.
- Provide resort recreational facilities on the resort grounds
Tour Boat Endorsement Requirements
A licensee that operates a resort all-beverage license may also apply for a tour boat endorsement on their license if:
- The boats are at least 40 feet long and carry at least 50 passengers
- The health department has approved food services on the boat
- Fish, Wildlife and Parks inspects and approves boat safety equipment
- The Boat registration is current
- The applicant has current business liability insurance coverage
- The resort licensee or applicant owns of the tour boat. (16-4-210, MCA)
License Quotas and Limits
The number of guest accommodations in the resort area determines how many licenses are available. Except for those resort areas that are determined by acres and valuation listed above.
A resort area designation application to the department that received approval prior to January 1, 1999, is entitled to the issuance of one resort retail all-beverages license for a $20,000 license fee.
Any additional resort retail all-beverages licenses issued to a resort area under 16-4-213(2)(c), MCA must meet the accommodation unit requirement in subsection (2)(a) of 16-4-213, MCA and pay the license fee and renewal fees as provided in 16-4-501.
The Resort All-Beverages License is not included in the quota system.
Application Options and Dates
Apply for a resort all-beverage license using the Alcoholic Beverages – Gambling Operator Combined On-Premises License Application (Form 5), available in our TransAction Portal (TAP).
A resort all-beverage license must be renewed every year by June 30.