If your customers purchase beer or wine to take home or consume elsewhere, you need an off-premises license.
Montana has four types of off-premises license: convenience or grocery store, pharmacy, stand-alone, and sacramental wine.
Convenience or Grocery Store License
A convenience or grocery store license is used by a business with at least $3,000 worth of retail inventory, including three different types of:
- Bakery Items
- Dairy Products
- Household goods
A pharmacy alcohol license is only available to a licensed pharmacy.
A stand-alone license is used by a business if 95% of its gross income comes from beer or wine sales. (16-4-115, MCA)
These businesses are usually specialty beer or wine shops.
Sacramental Wine License
A sacramental wine license is used by a business that sells church supplies, including sacramental wine to established religious organizations for religious purposes. (16-4-313, MCA)
|License Type||New License Fee||New License Processing Fee||Renewal Fee|
|Sacramental Wine License||$50||$50||$50|
|Beer and Wine License||$400||$200||$400|
The new license processing fee only applies for original applications and is not applied to renewals.
Late Payment Penalty
If you do not renew your license by the due date, you will be charged a late payment penalty:
All off-premises locations must follow certain rules, including:
- You many only sell beer or wine in its original packaging.
- Your store must be physically separated from any business operating under another owner or license. This includes a separate on-premises alcohol business, such as a bar.
- You must store all beer and wine inventory on-site in an area identified in your floor plan.
- Your customers may not drink alcohol sold for off-premises consumption anywhere on your property, including:
- Your sales floor
- Your parking lot
- Any deck, patio, sports or play areas connected to your business
Application Options and Dates
Off-premises licenses are renewed annually and are due on the last day of the month the department received the original license application.
If the application for the original license was received in March, the renewal date will always the last day of March.