Montana requires alcohol server training from a state-approved program for anyone serving or selling alcohol within 60 days of being hired and renewal training every three years.

The Alcohol Education and Training unit teaches about safe and responsible alcohol sales, service, and consumption.

The Online Alcohol Server System

Our Alcohol Education and Training Unit provides several services through the Alcohol Server System.

In addition to services for state trainers, you can find:

Become a Trainer

The Department of Revenue relies heavily on volunteers to teach the state’s responsible alcohol sales and service training program called Let’s Control It.

To become a certified state trainer, you will need to submit a State Trainer Application.

We review trainer applications to make sure they meet all qualifications and there is satisfactory evidence the applicant is of good moral character and a law-abiding citizen.

Once approved, an applicant will need to attend a one day train-the-trainer session and pass an exam.

Approved applicants will also need to attend a one day train-the-trainer session and pass the trainer exam.

Trainer Qualifications

To qualify, you must be 21 and have:

  • A high school or GED equivalent
  • Access to a projector or television and a DVD player
  • Access to a computer or laptop
  • An email address we can use to contact you
  • The ability to receive shipments of materials from the department
  • Access to reliable transportation
  • No alcohol-related convictions in the last five years


Work Experience

One year experience in:

  • Law enforcement
  • Communications or public relations
  • Health services, such as a prevention specialist or counselor
  • Instruction, such as a teacher, professor, or trainer
  • Community coalition, such as:
    • the DUI Task Force
    • Youth Prevention Coalition
    • Victim/Survivor groups

Public Speaking Experience

Two years of public speaking experience, such as:

  • Teaching classes
  • Presenting Lectures
  • Community presentations
  • Educational instruction

We may also consider any alternate equivalent experience on an individual basis.

Other Helpful Information