Dispensaries are locations where marijuana can be sold to registered cardholders and/or adult-use consumers. Dispensaries are licensed as either medical-only or adult-use. Medical-only dispensaries may only sell marijuana and marijuana products to registered cardholders. Adult-use dispensaries may sell marijuana and marijuana products to either registered cardholders or adult-use consumers.
In addition the requirements listed here, dispensaries are subject to the General Licensee Requirements.
- Applications for new dispensary licenses will be available starting 7/1/2023.
- Existing businesses may apply for additional dispensary locations.
- Businesses may have multiple license types including Cultivator, Manufacturer, Dispensary, and Transporter. There is no requirement to have multiple license types.
- Dispensaries may purchase marijuana or marijuana products from other licensed businesses.
- All sales to registered cardholders or adult-use consumers must be entered in the seed-to-sale tracking system.
- All employees must have a valid Worker Permit prior to starting work.
Additional Application Requirements
- Must meet all General License Application Requirements
- Applications must be submitted through the TransAction Portal (TAP).
- All marijuana business applicants must demonstrate they are located within a jurisdiction that allows their business to operate in accordance with 16-12-301, MCA.
- Each dispensary location must be applied for individually.
- Annual dispensary fees are $5,000 per location.
- Applications require a processing fee of 20% of the license fees.
- Application processing fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.