The Montana Department of Revenue has released a new way for Montanans with simple taxes to file their 2019 state income tax returns online, quickly and for free.
MT QuickFile is now available for Montanans who:
- Were full-year Montana residents in 2019;
- Only have income documented on W-2, 1099-DIV or 1099-INT forms;
- Are filing as single, head of household, or married filing jointly;
- Are taking the standard deduction;
- Are not claiming any tax credits (other than the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit.)
Montanans who meet all these criteria should check if they can use MT QuickFile with the Filing Options Quiz.
The department also reminds anyone filing a Montana state income tax return for the first time to keep their mailing address current with the Department of Revenue. The department will only issue refunds by U.S. Mail to first-time Montana filers.