Your Montana Annual W-2 1099 Withholding Tax Reconciliation (Form MW-3) is due January 31.
The guidelines below will help you avoid the most common mistakes. Errors or incomplete submissions may cause delays in the processing of your reconciliation and the validation of tax refunds for employees and others.
Guidelines for filing your Form MW-3, Forms W-2 and 1099
Filing through the TransAction Portal (TAP)
Filing through TAP is the most accurate way to file your return.
TAP lets you
- Submit your Form MW-3, either manually or using your payroll software.
- Upload your W-2s and 1099s using files from your payroll software
- Enter your W-2s and 1099s with wage withholding on TAP.
- Send a message to the department if you need online filing assistance.
Other Filing Guidelines
- File the Montana Form MW-3, not the federal Form W-3.
- Include the correct Employer Identification Number (EIN).
If you’re a payroll service provider, be sure you are using your client’s EIN.
- Include the correct state account number.
Montana withholding accounts numbers are a 13-digit alphanumeric ID ending in “WTH.”
- Do not mail duplicate paper copies of your forms.
- Please Note: If you file your Form MW-3 electronically and mail your W-2 and 1099 forms, do not include another copy of the Form MW-3 in the mail. Our system will automatically link your mailed W-2 and 1099 forms with your electronically filed Form MW-3.
- Submit all your W-2s with or without Montana withholding.
- File your W-2 and 1099 forms for the correct reporting year.
- Submit only your 1099 forms showing Montana withholding with your Form MW-3.
- Please Note: If you must submit 1099 forms with no Montana withholding, do not send these forms with your Form MW-3 on TAP. Instead, file them using the TAP file upload application.
- If you mail your 1099 forms with no Montana withholding, include a copy of your federal Form 1096.