What’s Changed for 2019

December 28, 2018

Individual Income Tax

Updated Form: Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2)
We have consolidated the Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2) to better match the federal Form 1040.
Part of this change streamlines the layout of the Form 2. We have moved worksheets to be near their related schedules inside the Form 2. As such, we are no longer able to provide worksheets or schedules apart from the Form 2.
Paperless Change: Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit
The Form 2EC is no longer available for paper filers. To claim the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit on paper, you will need to file a Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2).
If you do not have a filing requirement and do not wish to file a Form 2, you still claim this credit through our TransAction Portal (TAP).
Removed Form: Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2EZ)
We are discontinuing the Montana Individual Income Tax Return (Form 2EZ). This change matches the federal change to discontinue the federal Form 1040EZ.
If you previously filed the Form 2EZ, you will need to file a Form 2, or view other filing options.
Paperless Change: Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments
We are no longer mailing Forms 1099-G.
You may access your Form 1099-G through our TransAction Portal (TAP).

Wage Withholding

New Form: Montana Employee’s Withholding Allowance and Exemption Certificate (Form MW-4)
Due to changes to the federal form, we have implemented a Montana-specific Withholding Allowance and Exemption Certificate.

  • New employees need to complete the Montana Form MW-4.
  • Current employees do not need to fill out a Form MW-4 unless their situation changes.
The new Form MW-4 will also be used to replace the Reciprocity Exemption from Withholding (Form MT-R), used to claim the North Dakota Reciprocity Agreement Exemption.


Paperless Change: Livestock Reporting
We will no longer mail Livestock Reporting forms.
Livestock owners can report their livestock and pay the per capita fees through ReportYourLivestock.mt.gov.