Deadlines for the Reciprocity Exemption from Withholding (Form MT-R)

February 14, 2018

North Dakota residents currently working in Montana can claim an exemption from Montana withholding under the Montana-North Dakota Reciprocity Agreement. Individuals who have been working in Montana who want to continue to be exempt from withholding for 2018 must:

The employer will keep another copy for their records and submit all originals to the department by March 31.

New employees may claim an exemption by submitting a completed Form MT-R to their employer within 30 days of starting employment. The employer must submit the form to the department within 30 days of receiving it from the employee.