All livestock owners must report the number of each type of livestock they own on February 1 every year. Even if you only own one horse or a few chickens, you must report your livestock.

If you reported livestock last year, you need to submit a livestock report this year. Even if you no longer own livestock. This is the only way to update our records.

Livestock reports are due March 1. (15-24-903, MCA)

The Department of Revenue also collects the fees on reported livestock. (15-24-921, MCA)

Per capita fees are due on May 31.

Livestock owners can report their livestock online or by filling out the Livestock Reporting Form.

Quick Information

Important Dates

Livestock Reporting Due
March 1
Per Capita Fee Payments Due
May 31

Types of Livestock

According to Montana state law (15-24-921, MCA), livestock owners need to report “cattle, sheep, swine, poultry, honey bees, goats, horses, mules, asses, llamas, alpacas, domestic bison, ostriches, rheas, emus, and domestic ungulates.”

You must report:

  • All swine, poultry, and honey bees
  • All other livestock at least nine months as of February 1

Livestock Fees

Montana livestock fees are charged per capita, meaning you pay the fee for each animal.

Livestock TypeFee Per Head
Horses, mules, asses, ponies, donkeys, and burros$5.85
Cattle, including cows, bulls, yearlings, and heifer and steer calves at least nine months old$2.29
Domestic Bison$6.38
Swine over three months$0.78
Poultry, including chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks and other domestic birds raised for food$0.05
Honey bees$0.41 per hive
Alternative livestock, including privately owned caribou, mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, moose, antelope, mountain sheep, and mountain goats indigenous to Montana$26.33
Ostriches, rheas, and emus$9.73
Llamas and Alpacas$9.73

The Board of Livestock sets the per capita fee rates.

Livestock Fee Distribution

Livestock per capita fees help fund Department of Livestock programs used for:

  • Monitoring animal health
  • Monitoring and restricting livestock imports
  • Tracking animal movements
  • Preventing and investigating livestock theft
  • Managing predators

Additional Livestock Fees

Some counties also collect a fee to fund Predatory Animal Control (PAC).

County treasurers use the cattle and sheep head counts you sent to us to collect these fees on personal and or property tax bills.

Other Helpful Information